Search This Blog

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Steven Smith Teamaker Loose Leaf Green Tea 'Varietal: No. 96 Jasmine Silver Tip'

Tea Information:
Tea: Varietal: No. 96 Jasmine Silver Tip
Type: Green Tea
Packaging: Loose Leaf
Company: Steven Smith Teamaker
Purchase: Here
About this Tea: Delicate, tender green tea leaves from China’s Fujian Province are harvested each May and steam-fired to maintain their flavor - then placed amid just- picked jasmine buds, which open slowly to share their fragrance. Many call it the perfect marriage.
Ingredients: China full leaf green tea scented with jasmine blossoms.
Preparation: For best flavor, bring freshly drawn filtered water to 190 degrees. Steep three minutes. Play a spot of bridge or mahjong to help pass the time.

Steep Information:
Amount: 2 tsp
Water: ~500ml filtered, 190°
Tool: Breville One-Touch Tea Maker BTM800XL (custom, custom)
Steep Time: 3 minutes
Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell: jasmine flower petals
Steeped Tea Smell: jasmine flower petals
Flavor: vegetal, astringent
Body: Light
Aftertaste: grassy, floral
Liquor: translucent honey (yellow-brown) green

I love jasmine pearls and figured I would give this a try when I placed my order. I think I should have gone with the pearls. It was too grassy, and astringent, for my taste :(

Post-Steep Additives: honey, which took the edge off the astringency, it was still grassy with only hints of floral after each sip

Rating: 2/4 leaves


Leaf system:
1=Bleh! not again if it were free
2=Acceptable, if it were free or there were limited other tea options
3=I might purchase this tea from time to time, or select it while out
4=A staple in our cupboard from now on, I will purchase and keep purchasing





No comments: