Search This Blog

Monday, March 22, 2010

Harney and Sons Loose Leaf Black Tea 'Paris'

Tea Information:
Tea: Paris
Type: Black Tea
Packaging: Loose Leaf
Company: Harney and Sons
Purchase: Here
Description: Mike has enjoyed many a pot of tea at the famous Paris tea shops. In homage to Paris, he has created this blend reminiscent of one of the most popular blends in Paris. It is a fruity black tea with a hint of lemony Bergamot.
Ingredients: ?

Steep Information:
Amount: 3 tsp
Additives: none
Water: filtered, boiling, 1 cast iron teapot full
Tool: Cast Iron Teapot with Mesh basket strainer
Steep Time: a little over 4 minutes
Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell: generic spices, chocolate, berries, vanilla?
Steeped Tea Smell: black tea, berries, sweet, spices, chocolate, complex kaleidoscope
Flavor: black tea, berry, sweet, slightly astringent
Body: Medium
Aftertaste: spicy, short slight bitter, slightly astringent
Liquor: translucent dark orange or maybe reddish-brown

I believe I ordered this because it was featured on Steepster select and everyone was raving about it.

The flavors are slight but definitely there, only they keep shifting and I can't get a good handle on what they are. This is a very smooth black tea.

Post-Steep Additives: 1 tsp German rock sugar, not an improvement I actually think it did something unpleasant to the flavor

The next cup tried almond milk, chugged that to get rid of it, BLEH

Resteep: 4 minutes - brown water
+2 min - slightly vanilla brown water
+2 min very light tea and vanilla if I were in a better mood I would have appreciated it as a light cup of tea with hints of flavor but I tossed it.

I don't think I'll purchase it, it is a quality tea, and a nice black tea, but very complex tea, and just not my cup of tea.

Rating: 3/4 leaves


Leaf system:
1=Bleh! not again if it were free
2=Acceptable, if it were free or there were limited other tea options
3=I might purchase this tea from time to time, or select it while out
4=A staple in our cupboard from now on, I will purchase and keep purchasing





No comments: