Search This Blog

Monday, June 14, 2010

thepuriTea Loose Leaf Oolong Tea 'Milk Oolong'

Tea Information:
Tea: Milk Oolong
Type: Oolong Tea
Packaging: Loose Leaf
Company: thepuriTea
Purchase: Here
Description: A one of a kind tea, let alone Oolong. That's how we sum up our Milk Oolong. The aroma is mind boggling, the taste unexpectedly amazing and you'll be asking yourself "How is this tea?". This very special Taiwanese Oolong is produced from tea leaves picked at a certain temperature, altitude, soil conditions and time which creates it's uniquely milky and silky texture. The light yellow liquid creates a sweet smooth milk aroma and will leave a taste in your mouth that makes you yearning for more.

Steep Information:
Amount: 2 tsp, one entire sample bag
Water: 2 Zarafina cups
Tool: Zarafina Oolong-Loose-Medium
Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell: milky (dairy), vegetal, sweet
Steeped Tea Smell: sweet, vegetal, milky (dairy)
Flavor: smooth, silky, smooth, vegetal, astringent, sweet
Body: Medium
Aftertaste: a touch bitter and astringent
Liquor: Translucent light yellow-brown

This tea was one of 5 samples I received from thepuriTea. It arrived well packaged in pretty pillow boxes (see pictures for a side angle of the pillow box if you are unsure what I mean) with packing peanuts and business cards.

Resteep: Zarafina Oolong-Loose-Medium, a milder vegetal taste, still smooth and sweet

At first there were barely 2 tsp of tightly rolled leaf balls scattered across the steeping basket of the Zarafina. They were a little smaller than most jasmine pearls I have seen, but not by much. After steeping the basket was stuffed full of large, gorgeous, but a bit ragged, green leaves. The leaves expanded most impressively!

Oolongs and I have a hit or miss relationship, this one I did enjoy. I think I should have tried "Mild" on the first steep though. The second steep was more enjoyable than the first as it was a lighter vegetal taste with the same sweetness and smoothness of the first steep. Unfortunately I had to run so I did not get to try further steeps but the flavor was still very strong and I fully believe it would have easily supported another steep if not more.

This is not so impressive I am running out to buy it right now, but it is a sure addition to any thepuriTea order I place in the future. The flavor itself is a high quality enjoyable flavor but it's the mouth-feel and body that make it memorable.

Rating: 3/4 leaves


Leaf system:
1=Bleh! not again if it were free
2=Acceptable, if it were free or there were limited other tea options
3=I might purchase this tea from time to time, or select it while out
4=A staple in our cupboard from now on, I will purchase and keep purchasing








No comments: