Search This Blog

Friday, February 24, 2012

52Teas Loose Leaf Black Tea 'Oatmeal Raisin Cookie'

Tea Information:
Tea: Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Black Tea
Type: Black Tea
Packaging: Loose Leaf
Company: 52Teas
Purchase: Here
Description: This week’s tea is proof positive that being a pest sometimes pays off. There’s good reason why some of our customers have started referring to me as “the Willy Wonka of tea”. I enjoy creating bold new flavors, stuff that no one has ever done before. I couldn’t possibly accomplish this without the help of several people, most notably, our natural flavors suppliers. One of whom, I don’t mind admitting, I have a terrible man-crush on.

He is a genius in his field and provides probably 90% of our flavors. But what I love best about him is that occasionally I can come to him with a crazy idea for a new flavor and he will make it for me. Sometimes (like when I asked him to create a bacon flavor), he tells me I’m crazy and I have to track down an alternative, but many times he has helped me out. I know that larger companies that actually have money to spend will spend tens of thousands of dollars for his assistance in creating a new proprietary flavor profile, but he knows I don’t have the budget for that and he helps me out anyway. Maybe he sees in me, as I see in him, a fellow mad scientist. Whatever the reason, I am grateful.

For this week’s tea, he created a natural oatmeal flavoring, which I had been dreaming about for a while, so I could introduce you to this week’s tea of the week: Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Black Tea, with rolled oats, plump raisins and natural flavors including oatmeal and touches of brown sugar, raisin, and butter (and yes, it’s all vegan, for our vegan friends).

I don’t want to toot my own horn too much here, but I think this is going to knock your socks off. It is truly stunning. Get yours while they last.

Ingredients: Black tea, raisins, rolled oats, natural flavors.

Steep Information:
Amount: 2 tsp
Water: 500ml 195°F
Tool: Breville One-Touch Tea Maker BTM800XL
Steep Time: 2 minutes
Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell: grape, fake grape, hints of oatmeal
Steeped Tea Smell: grape, roasty tea
Flavor: roasty black tea
Body: Full
Aftertaste: astringent
Liquor: translucent dark brown

Post-Steep Additives:
agave nectar
sweet, raisin, toasty black tea

Rating: 2/4 leaves

Leaf system:
1=Bleh! not again if it were free
2=Acceptable, if it were free or there were limited other tea options
3=I might purchase this tea from time to time, or select it while out
4=A staple in our cupboard from now on, I will purchase and keep purchasing







I purchased this product. All my reviews are as unbiased as possible, whether I buy or receive free product. I accept no other compensation other than free product.

No comments: