Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2010

The Republic of Tea Teabag Mate Tea 'Double Dark Chocolate Maté'

Tea Information:
Tea: Double Dark Chocolate Maté
Type: Mate Tea
Packaging: Teabag
Company: The Republic of Tea
Purchase: Here
Description: Dynamic Duo - It's a match made in heaven: antioxidant-rich, organic, roasted Yerba Maté blended with organic dark cocoa powder in a guilt-free, full-bodied dessert tea. Dark Chocolate also brims with antioxidants, plus polyphenols – compounds known to lower blood pressure. All with less than 5 calories per cup.

These two nutrient powerhouses promote longevity and good health. Savor the allure of organic, roasted Yerba Maté as it mingles with the satisfying flavors of organic dark chocolate. It's nice with a splash of warm milk.

Ingredients: Organic roasted carob, organic roasted Yerba Mate, organic natural dark chocolate flavors, organic natural cocoa, natural concentrated cocoa powder, organic natural chocolate extract and organic chicory

Steep Information:
Amount: 2 teabags
Additives: none
Water: 12 ounces filtered boiling water (my pottery friends mug is 12 ounces)
Steep Time: a little over 7 minutes
Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell: dark chocolate bar, nutty
Steeped Tea Smell: mate, chocolate, nutty
Flavor: weak watery chocolate
Body: Light
Aftertaste: chocolate
Liquor: dark brown, you can't see to the bottom of the mug

When I opened the canister I wanted to eat the bags right there and then! I have gotten used to The Republic of Tea's "powdery on purpose" tins, so the cloud of coco dust didn't surprise me and I certainly don't mind chocolate wafting through the kitchen.

I was very excited for this tea, I had been expecting so much from it. What I got was a weak coco, like when you make the "prepare with milk" coco packets and accidentally make them with water.

I added the bags back in per some other reviews.

Next time, 3 bags, and maybe some milk.

Post-Steep Additives: none

Resteep: I wouldn't even dare with this so weak

Rating: 1/3



No comments: