Search This Blog

Thursday, March 18, 2010

52Teas Loose Leaf Black Tea 'Apple Pie a la mode'

Tea Information:
Tea: Apple Pie a la mode
Type: Black Tea
Packaging: Loose Leaf
Company: 52Teas
Purchase: Here
Description: Here’s our take on the all American classic, Apple pie a la mode.

We’ve blended our premium Indian black teas with real apple bits, cinnamon stick pieces, vanilla beans and all natural flavors, including just a touch of natural brown sugar flavor.

Ingredients: ?

Steep Information:
Amount: 3 tsp
Additives: none
Water: filtered boiling
Tool: Cast Iron Teapot with Mesh basket strainer
Steep Time: a little over 4, 9 minutes
Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell: cinnamon, apple, vanilla, MilitiaJim also gets caramel
Steeped Tea Smell: cinnamon, apple, vanilla, MilitiaJim also gets caramel
Flavor:
4 min: light, watery, cinnamon, vanilla
9 min: bitter black, cinnamon, vanilla, hint of apple
Body: 4-Light, 9-Medium
Aftertaste: 4-sweet apple 9-bitter black tea
Liquor: 4-translucent light reddish-burnt orange 9-darker reddish-brown

I think I need a steep in between what I did, however I was distracted by dinner.

The smell delivers on the pie. I assume "a la mode" = vanilla (assuming target was vanilla bean ice cream but I am not getting creamy or dairy so no vanilla bean ice cream).

The taste on the first steep was very weak, but held promise of being a light, but not too subtle, spiced black. The second steep went off the deep end because I forgot to watch it and it turned out very bitter keeping me from appreciating it.

I am going to give this tea another shot some other time as I think it has promise.

Post-Steep Additives: German rock sugar-brought in more the sweetness I expect from pie, I also like sugar

Rating: 2/4 leaves


Leaf system:
1=Bleh! not again if it were free
2=Acceptable, if it were free or there were limited other tea options
3=I might purchase this tea from time to time, or select it while out
4=A staple in our cupboard from now on, I will purchase and keep purchasing





No comments: