Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

JK Tea Shop Loose Leaf Herbal Tea 'Purple Chrysamthemum Wild Flower Tea'

Tea Information:
Tea: Purple Chrysamthemum Wild Flower Tea
Type: Herbal Tea
Packaging: Loose Leaf
Company: JK Tea Shop
Purchase: Here
Description: This purple chrysanthemum is an extremely unique variety among the others chrysanthemums. It only grows up in one mountain in China, where it is located in Qiaoban village, Yanjia town, Chunan county, Zhejiang province, and whose altitude is around 1460 meters. This mountain is called Yu San Jian, which means the mountain’s shape is similar to an umbrella shape. So far, there is still no road directly to the tea farmers who make this tea. We need to stop at his village and then climb the mountain road for about 3 kilometers before reaching his house.

This purple chrysanthemum only pluck one time in mid of Oct and have a limited yield per year.

From ancient time till now, chrysanthemum flowers have been used as a Chinese herbal teas, such as clearing away the body interior heat and toxic materials, quenching thirsts and anti-heat stroke in summer.


Suggested brewing guidelines: Glass pot:7-9 pcs per time (based on personal taste); the water temperature should be 90C or 190F for about 1 minute. This tea does not need to wash.

Infusion time: Glass pot: at least 4 times

Steep Information:
Amount: I put 10, because that's what came when I took a tsp
Water: filtered, boiling, 16 oz
Tool: in my ceramic Tea Forte solstice teapot
Steep Time: a little over 1 minute
Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell: floral, very vegetal like walking in a muddy flower field
Steeped Tea Smell: floral, vegetal
Flavor: odd, different, smooth, vegetal, it's not bitter but there is this almost bitter like taste I can't describe, it makes my mouth
Body: Light
Aftertaste: that funky fuzzy tingly feeling
Liquor: translucent light green

I was sent for free Purple Chrysamthemum Wild Flower Tea thanks to an offer posted on Steepster

JK Tea Shop Website

I paid $1.70 shipping

The tea arrived Tuesday April 13 in waterproof shipping bag. Inside the bag was a well bubble wrapped package of tea.

Inside the bubble wrap was a silver foiled resealable pouch.

Inside the pouch, gorgeous whole flower heads!

1 minute was too short, I couldn't taste much. So I left them in for a bit while working on another tasting note, next thing you know it was at 8 minutes! I think that may have been a bit long, but it still taste very similar to the tins and plastic bottles of Chrysamthemum tea I have gotten in Asian grocery stores.

I am sorry that my descriptive skills and vocabulary are not up to the task - if you've had Chrysamthemum tea before, this is it. I had it this time unsweetened, but I think that I enjoy it more sweetened.

Post-Steep Additives: none

Resteep: not sure how long, but just the same as the first!

Rating: 2/4 leaves


Leaf system:
1=Bleh! not again if it were free
2=Acceptable, if it were free or there were limited other tea options
3=I might purchase this tea from time to time, or select it while out
4=A staple in our cupboard from now on, I will purchase and keep purchasing











No comments: