Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Chicago Tea Garden Loose Leaf Pu-Erh Tea 'Camel's Breath Pu-erh Tuocha'

Tea Information:
Tea: Camel's Breath Pu-erh Tuocha
Type: Pu-Erh Tea
Packaging: Loose Leaf
Company: Chicago Tea Garden
Purchase: Here
Description: Though I have never had the pleasure of actually smelling a camel's breath, these mini-tuocha smell ... like what I assume camel's breath would smell like. Don't let the name put you off. These pu-erh tuocha steep up a sturdy, dark, and intense liquor. They produce a some-what briny drink -- steep it longer, the darker it will get, this is a tuocha you can leave in your pot and keep adding water to throughout the day.

Steep Information:
Amount: 1 nest ~6.7g
Water: 16 oz filtered boiling
Tool: Adagio IngenuiTEA 16 oz
Steep Time: 30 seconds - I counted out loud, I did a quick rinse with hot water first.
Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell: not much
Steeped Tea Smell: black tea
Flavor: mild black tea, smooth sweet and a little earthy
Body: Light
Aftertaste:
Liquor: translucent light brown

I got this as a free sample (it was a limited time run announced May 25 on twitter @WorldofTea) and it arrived today. It arrived with an adorable brewing card that has space for notes. As seen in my prior Company Review, the shipping, packaging, and customer service of this store is impeccable.

I of course choose this tea for it's name. To my surprise I am enjoying it very thoroughly, I was expecting a novelty tea. A very light mild, earthy and sweet black tea.

Resteep: 16 oz filtered boiling, 30 second counted aloud
Dark brown translucent, more medium bodied, still a sweet, perhaps a bit earthy / briny tea

I am positive I can get more steeps, but it's bed time, let's see how the IngenuiTEA holds the leaves overnight in the fridge?

As you may be able to see it held itself together well the first time, the second time it mostly crumbled.

Rating: 3/4 leaves


Leaf system:
1=Bleh! not again if it were free
2=Acceptable, if it were free or there were limited other tea options
3=I might purchase this tea from time to time, or select it while out
4=A staple in our cupboard from now on, I will purchase and keep purchasing








No comments: