Search This Blog

Monday, June 7, 2010

thepuriTea Loose Leaf White Tea 'Royal Lily Bloom'

Tea Information:
Tea: Royal Lily Bloom
Type: White Tea
Packaging: Loose Leaf
Company: thepuriTea
Purchase: Here
Description: Royal Lily Bloom is a hand-tied white tea that blooms into a gorgeous gradation from muted-green white tea buds to delicate, canary-yellow chrysanthemum petals to a vibrant spray of blossoming crimson lily. This regal, sophisticated tea is a classic “flowering tea” or “blossoming tea” in terms of its appearance, but its flavor is no shrinking violet… Surprisingly full flavors of cocoa, malt, flowers, fruit and chestnuts set this tea bloom apart from other flowering teas.

Short infusions of Royal Lily Bloom are perfect with mild breakfast foods, mild Buddhist Chinese foods or mellow desserts. It can also steep longer over meals or at parties for a White-Peony-like aroma and deeper flavors of caramel, malt, apricots and chestnuts


Steep Information:
Amount: 1 tea ball
Water: 16 ounces boiling, then let sit for a little
Tool: adagio IngenuiTEA 16 ounce
IngenuiTEA
Steep Time: not sure, too busy watching it unfurl
Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell:
Steeped Tea Smell: floral, vegetal
Flavor: floral, vegetal, smooth, indistinct
Body: Medium
Aftertaste: nutty, astringent
Liquor: translucent green-yellow

This tea was one of 5 samples I received from thepuriTea. It arrived well packaged in pretty pillow boxes (see pictures for a side angle of the pillow box if you are unsure what I mean) with packing peanuts and business cards.

I'll admit, I bought the IngenuiTEA specifically for this tea. I used to have a pretty glass De Chine teapot that was a gift from my boss, but I broke it one day while cleaning it.

Since then I have had enough teapots that I haven't had the need to replace it. I could have used my Breville One-Touch, but I wanted to try an IngenuiTEA / gravity-teapot and this was a good excuse to try it.

I was a little sad it decided to be upside down, as it was fascinating to watch it unfurl. It was pretty to look at as well when I was done steeping.

Not a tea I think I'd want to have every day, but certainly a fun treat every now and then.

Rating: 3/4 leaves


Leaf system:
1=Bleh! not again if it were free
2=Acceptable, if it were free or there were limited other tea options
3=I might purchase this tea from time to time, or select it while out
4=A staple in our cupboard from now on, I will purchase and keep purchasing











No comments: