Search This Blog

Friday, April 16, 2010

Dammann Freres Loose Leaf Black Tea 'Paul and Virginie'

Tea Information:
Tea: Paul and Virginie
Type: Black Tea
Packaging: Loose Leaf
Company: Dammann Freres
Purchase: Here
Description: Blend of China and Ceylon teas, flavoured with caramel, cherry, strawberry, raspberry and vanilla.
Time of infusion : 4 to 5 minutes

Ingredients: ?

Steep Information:
Amount: 3 tsp
Water: 22 oz filtered, boiling
Tool: Cast Iron Teapot with Mesh basket strainer
Steep Time: a little over 4 minutes
Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell: sweet and fruity
Steeped Tea Smell: black tea, cherry
Flavor: black tea, sweet, fruity
MilitiaJim: vanilla
Body: Medium
Aftertaste: astringent, fruity
Liquor: translucent dark orange-brown

As I said earlier, my taste buds appear to be ignoring vanilla lately. This is sad as I love vanilla.

This was a lovely scent, a blend of sweet fruits that makes your mouth water. The flavor is more subtle than the scent, but still smooth and a very nice cup of tea.

Post-Steep Additives: German rock sugar
Less astringency

Resteep: 4 minutes
Slightly weaker, but still delicious

As I drink the second pot (I was expecting some help, but apparently all 44 oz are all mine) I noticed that the tea is silky smooth - not buttery, but when I swallow there is a silken residue in my mouth and throat for a moment. I was too busy chugging and noting before to get that feeling.

Rating: 3/4 leaves


Leaf system:
1=Bleh! not again if it were free
2=Acceptable, if it were free or there were limited other tea options
3=I might purchase this tea from time to time, or select it while out
4=A staple in our cupboard from now on, I will purchase and keep purchasing




No comments: